happy feet gps

Bookmark and Share
I have always loved communing with nature. One of my favourite forms of exercise is hiking, especially in the local parks along the beautiful river. Every few months, I enjoy going on day trips to nearby state parks and hiking for the day. Sometimes, I bring a friend along with me, but I usually just like being alone with nature. My close friend recently got a handheld GPS unit from her husband as a gift and recommend that I get one too, particularly since I love wandering around in nature so much.

After my conversation with my friend, I decided to investigate portable GPS units for myself. I discovered that they are devices that utilize the Global Positioning System, which combine state-of-the-art geographic technology with a portable, easy-to-use tool for day-to-day use. There are GPS cell phones, PDAs and navigational systems. The handheld GPS unit has various impressive functions, such as navigation assistance and land-survey information. Some units have special information on geographic locations including historic and national landmarks. Outdoor lovers use these units to pinpoint coordinates of a particular location to refer to in the future. I like how handheld GPS units offer 3-D maps, full-colour screens, temperature readings, and barometric pressure readings.

For fellow hikers, a waterproof GPS unit is recommended. Keep in mind that light-weight units are best for outdoor activities. They are available in an assortment of bright colours, which is important when hiking in a park or forest and you place your unit temporarily on the ground, as dull colours will blend in with nature and make it difficult to relocate. The handheld GPS units depend on a minimum of three available satellites, with an average accuracy of within about 30 metres/ 100 feet. I'm looking forward to purchasing my own handheld GPS unit. Happy hiking!

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment